Art and Design CURRICULUM
Our Aims and Objectives Policy Statement
At West Hampstead we believe that Art and Design plays a huge role in our pupils' development, it therefore forms an integral part of our Curriculum.
Art, Craft and Design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. We regard art as an important subject because artistic creation can provide fulfilment throughout life. Through artistic observation children can heighten their perceptions of the world around them and art can contribute to cultural understanding. "Art and Design is not just a subject to learn, but an activity that you can practise: with your hands, your eyes, your whole personality." (Quentin Blake, Children’s Laureate)
Our Aims and Objectives
Art and Design teaching offers opportunities to:
- find enjoyment in art and creativity.
- hold a positive self-image and confidence.
- discover a sense of purpose and fulfilment in artistic expression.
- appreciate a wide range of artists and artworks.
- experiment with a range of media.
- use a range of materials and techniques competently.
- develop their observation and description skills.
- express ideas and feelings through creative work and in both two and three dimensions.
- value and respect their work and the work of others.
- discuss their work using appropriate vocabulary.
Legislation and Guidance
This policy reflects the requirements of the National Curriculum programmes of study, which all maintained schools in England must teach.